Thursday, September 20, 2012

This evening I watched "Covert Affairs" while I made a bunch of pie crusts for this brick oven party I'm going to tomorrow. (Any time I get to reference some brick oven party I'm going to, it makes me happy about the state of my life.) Anyway, I had this show playing in the background while I mucked around in flour and butter. As I watched, I realized that Annie Parker is a complete, unbearable Mary Sue.

I also realized that I feel most myself when I have my hands dug into something, when I'm baking or cooking or getting muddy. When I'm reattached to the physical world somehow. I spend so much time in my head. It's the danger of being an introvert raised by people who value thoughtfulness. There's almost never a time when I'm not thinking. It's a beauty and a relief when something takes me out of my head and back into the sensation of dough between my fingers, or moss under my feet. This is why I need to move back to the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment